3D Printed Wall-Mount Toothbrush Holder

There are many items in the average bathroom that could be improved upon. In this instance, I discovered my ceramic toothbrush holder to be pooling water internally and was quite hard to clean.3d_printed_toothbrush_holder_render

This is probably a classic instance of over-engineering, but over-engineering is what I do best. I designed this plastic wall-mount toothbrush holder in SolidWorks and printed it on Laboratory B‘s SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX in white ABS. With no enclosed spaces to pool water in, this design promises to be much more sanitary and quite easy to clean every surface. Hand resurfacing with acetone proved effective to seal the infill from any water penetration. In addition, the chemical treatment left the surface smooth and shiny.

I will upload the STL file for this print soon! WordPress typically restricts STL uploads so I will have to adjust that setting first.

3D Printed Toothbrush Holder

No Sound in Fedora 23 Linux with ALC892 (Intel HDA)

tl;dr: show me the fix plz thx

Did your sound also just quit working in Fedora 23 or other Linux distribution? You are not alone. My sound issues seemed to line up with an unclean shutdown performed courtesy of my foot. First I thought I corrupted my Gnome profile, but looking in the Sound settings panel, I saw no output devices.

No output devices? My computer audio was working this morning. I’ve never heard of an integrated sound card getting damaged in an abrupt shutdown either – it just doesn’t make sense. So it had to be a Linux oddity.

Out of sheer curiosity, I tried uninstalling PulseAudio. I should still be able to get sound with just ALSA, yet this step had no effect.

Specifically, I have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard with a quad-core 4.2 GHz AMD CPU, 16GB of RAM, and a Crucial SSD. If you also have the GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard you likely have the same sound chipset as me – the Realtek ALC892 / ALC887. My first search now that I knew the chipset turned up this 2014 forum post. However, most of that is just bug reporting and trying several things that did not work.

It wasn’t until I found this Ask Fedora question that I got my solution. Simply creating a .conf file in /etc/modprobe.d with the following contents was sufficient to restore my audio functionality completely:

options snd_hda_intel single_cmd=1
options snd_hda_intel probe_mask=1

An effective one-liner to perform this fix would be as follows.

echo "options snd_hda_intel single_cmd=1\noptions snd_hda_intel probe_mask=1" > sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/intel_hda_fix.conf


Update: an earlier version of this post referenced “snd-hda-intel” instead of “snd_hda_intel.” Underscores are the appropriate character here and dashes will not work.